Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Few Foggy Days in London Town.

What a crazy few days I've had.
I just can't believe that this program is quickly coming to an end. In some ways it has flown by, and in others I feel as if I've been here forever. I really feel like I'm in this dream land, worlds away from reality and home and real life...I'm not sure what I'll do with myself when I get back. It's only been six weeks but I feel that I've experienced and learned so much about life, and especially about myself.
Anyway.
Here's a little recap of the past few days!

Thursday:
We left the comforts of our lovely Bed and Breakfast at about 9am and were headed to see a few more Shakespeare sites in the countryside of Stratford and then onto Oxford for a few hours before arriving back in London. It really was a fun day. I had such a good time talking with Anna, Ronnie, and Kristy on the bus about pretty much anything and everything. We're all theatre ed majors so it was fun to talk about classes, and teaching ideas, and theatre, and then also just talk about our lives and share experiences with each other. I really think that was my favorite part of the day. Oxford was also a really neat place, a very collegiate town, obviously!
The highlight was going to Christ's College, where they have filmed lots of the scenes for the Harry Potter movies.

I really felt like I was walking around Hogwarts, and it totally took me back to my 6th grade Harry Potter nerdiness and made me remember how I still wish I could go to Hogwarts and be friends with Harry and Ron and have a wand and all that jazz. Good times. We got back and walked down to McDonald's for a snack and then through Hyde Park. I realized that night that I really will miss London so much. The simple things here, just being here, is so amazing. Honestly, I don't know how to express how much I love this place.

Friday:
Paige, Allison, Cat and I arose 'early' and headed to the Donmar West End theatre in hopes of getting tickets to see Jude Law in 'Hamlet.' We got there about an hour and half before they start selling day tickets and there were already tons of people in line. We waited but didn't get tickets and decided to come back earlier on Saturday. From there we took the tube to Oxford Circus (a big shopping street) and I did some shopping. It was really nice to just walk the streets and look in the shops by myself. I've found that alone time here is really exhilarating and nice. From there I came home and then our little group was off to Westminster Abbey for evensong and to see Big Ben once more.

Big Ben is truly majestic to me. It's still surreal every time I see it. It's totally the icon of London and helps remind me that I'm really here. Westminster was also beautiful and the choir that sang was amazing.

I was sitting there just in awe of the buildings in Europe. We just don't have the grand, old, architecture they have here. I'll miss it. Paige and I were then headed to see 'Company' and we made it this time! It was in this literal hole-in-the-wall theatre that just had the best atmosphere. You could tell the people just LOVED theatre and that made me love them. It's so different from the big, grand, expensive theatres in the West End. I love them...but I love these little theatres more. The show was great with lots of talent and we just had a really fun night...cake for dinner and all!


Saturday:
I got up at 5:50am to be ready to go get in line for Hamlet tickets once more.

We got to the theatre right before 7 and there were already 7 people in line! Craziness. We camped out in a little doorway in front of the theatre in the chilly, rainy, foggy, morning, and there we sat for 4 hours until we finally emerged triumphantly from the box office with 10th Row Center tickets to see Jude Law's beautiful face perform Shakespeare. It was so worth it. We were just a little bit excited. Paige and I ran home, took showers, and were off to see Billy Elliot. We got to the theatre and tickets were just more than we wanted to pay for not so great seats so we got back on the tube and ran to try for Oliver (again for me.) We got there and I got in the return ticket line while Paige tried for Lion King across the street, which sadly had already started. We both ended up getting into Oliver. I got a ticket to sit in the stalls about the 7th row and I was in heaven. This production of Oliver is just amazing, I'm SO glad I saw it again. It makes me so happy. I was a little fan girl and went to the stage door and got a picture with Jodi Prenger who plays Nancy.

Her performance is stunning, and I just love her story. She reminds me of myself in a lot of ways and it was really cool to meet her and see how humble and happy she is. Paige and I were then off again to grab some food and head to 'Hamlet'.

Let's just say....Jude Law is a legit actor. He made Shakespeare come so alive and feel so natural. I was very impressed, and really enjoyed the entire production. I almost got his autograph after the show, and I got pretty close to him, but there were some very obnoxious drunk men outside the theatre that we being very rude, so Jude didn't stay out very long.

Oh well. Paige and I decided we've experienced the full spectrum of theatre experiences here, and we'll always remember the performance, so the autograph isn't really necessary.

Sunday:
Today has been another wonderful Sunday with the people of London. We had Stake Conference this morning where 5 of the general authorities of the church spoke. There was such a strong peaceful spirit in the building, and the messages the general authorities shared with us were amazing. I have such a testimony of Jesus Christ and I know he lives and loves each and every person on this earth. Christ's love is really exemplified in President Uchtdorf. He just emits happiness, kindness, and love. The members in the Hyde Park Stake were just so excited to see him and it was beautiful to watch them take part in this conference. As we were leaving President Uchtdof's car pulled out and he had his window down waving at the people. As he turned the corner, Anna called his name and he looked over at our little group of 4 and his face lit up with a huge smile and he looked and waved right at us. It really made my day. I know with all my heart that he is an Apostle of Jesus Christ, and I'm so thankful for the Gospel in my life. Tonight we have a Young Single Adult fireside and I'm just working on homework.

Life is most definitely GOOD.


3 comments:

  1. I am crying tears of joy for a very exceptional granddaughter who makes me so proud and again what a wonderful experience "we" have had. I hate to see this blog come to an end in a few days. Study hard
    and ace your finals. What more have you to see there in the next few days? Will be glad to have you home. Love you so very much, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your posts and I just wish I had been able to go with you. I mean...I went, and I think you had a very similar experience that I did. I learned so much about myself and what I wanted for my life...and then it all went crazy once I got back! Even so...just wanted to tell you that even though we weren't there at the same time, I feel like we now have one more thing that brings us close together. I hope we're always close! I love you so much! :) travel home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got to see Jude Law! Ahh! Awesome.

    I know that you will miss London so much, I mean, who wouldn't. Wow! Maybe someday you and I will both be able to go back (well, I can go for the first time and you can go back).

    ReplyDelete