Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Updates.

Here's a little update on my past few days, I've been so busy I haven't gotten to post!
Saturday Night:

-So, I was thinking about just staying at home when my friends Kristy came in and asked if I wanted to see a show....of course I couldn't resist, so we went onto offwestend.co.uk and found a random show called "Potentials" and set off to see it. We got off the tube, walked down a random alley, found the theatre, payed our ₤10 and took our seats in a tiny blackbox theatre. The show was fantastic. It was fresh and new and hilarious and touching. I loved being immersed in the British culture, to see this new piece of theatre from British actors, writers, designers, etc. After going to that I want to go to some more 'off west end'/community theatre type things because I think they can be so much more artistic and powerful than some of the very commercialized 'West End'/Broadway shows.
Anyway, it was a really fun night, ending in McDonalds...which tasted so good.
Sunday:
-
Church was wonderful. We made it, about 10 minutes early and it was just so delightful. The ward is beautiful, the people are so sweet and so funny at the same time. I'm so excited to keep getting to know them. The kids are a-dor-able. Oh my. Little black boys with British accents make my life complete. I can't wait to serve them as the Primary Chorister. It's going to be so much fun.
-We had a nice Sunday afternoon, we read "The Winter's Tale" outloud, I got to talk to Aunt Linda on Skype for a little while, and then Mom, Dad, and Cole. I got homework done and just had a relaxing day. It's still so awesome to me how much I love the people I'm here with. It's crazy to me that I wasn't really friends with them before I got here, because now I feel like I've known them forever.

Monday:
-After class, a few of us went on a 'London Walk' around the St. Paul's part of London. We had a tour guide who told us about tons of the history behind random places. It was tons of fun. I'm still continually amazed by how beautiful London is. You'll be walking around and all of a suddent there's a beautiful garden with flowers upon flowers and a little pond or fountain. I love it. I'm so glad I'm here in the spring to see all the gorgeous flowers in bloom.
-After the walk we went to St. Paul's for "Evensong" and got to hear an amazing boys choir. It sounded so pretty in the huge cathedral.


We then headed to a pub for dinner: "Ye Olde London." I almost got fish and chips...but I just couldn't do it. I'm hoping I get my courage up before I leave. But we had a blast at the resturaunt. Our waiter was hilarious taking pictured of himself with Kristy's camera and doing impressions of what American girls sound like. It was a blast and we got the most delectible dessert I've ever had. It was the creamy white chocolate something with raspberrys and strawberries and chocolate sauce. yum.
-We headed back home for a fireside with an old Stake President of the church in London. He spoke to us about what it was like to live here during WWII. It was really interesting to hear about the war not only from someone who lived through it, but from a British perspective.
Tuesday:

-We started the day with a group tour of "Middle Temple Hall." It is the hall of an old law school which is still in use today. The main hall was the inspiration for the hall in Harry Potter and was known to be the place of the first performance of Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night.' There is just tons of history packed into the place. We got to see a table that was given to them from Queen Elizabeth I that was built 200 years before the United States was even founded. It was crazy for me to even fathom just how old that table is. It amazes me how much history is contained within London, and it's so cool to me to see and touch and hear about all of these historical things. It really is making my history text books come alive, and I love it.
-After the tour we went to Fleet Street, home to the ledgend of Sweeney Todd. We went to another pub, where my friend Kat proceeded to get a meat pie, and I had a bite...so I've technically had a meat pie on Fleet Street....and I'm not gonna lie...it was a little creepy.
-We then saw Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night' at the Unicorn Theatre. Let's just say, there was real grass, water, and fire onstage. It was in the round and I literally just felt like I was hanging outside in a beautiful meadow along a river watching these crazy people put on a play. I really loved it.
-After that show we came home, I whipped out a homeowork assignment, took a power nap, and we went to see 'Les Miserables.' I've been wanting to see it since forever, and it truly is a beautiful and powerful piece of theatre....a little over the top dramatic at points, but still wonderful.

Today:
Right now, I'm taking a breath! I've decided to have a calm day until tonight when we go to tour the National Theatre and see 'Time and the Conways' with the group. I'm really looking forward to both expereinces.

1 week until Paris
2 days until our Stonehenge & Bath day trip
1 day until 'tick, tick...BOOM!'
Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. My beautiful Heather, you make me feel like I am right there with you, such a wonderful writer you are. Love you and so glad you are experiencing a chance of a lifetime. What do you mean by l day until tick, tick, boom? Love you and God be with you. Grandma

    ReplyDelete