Monday, May 4, 2009

i love london.






Today consisted of Shopping and Theatre. How much better can a day get? We were supposed to go on a "Beatles London Walk" but when we arrived at the station, the guide wasn't there. So four us us decided to just get on a bus and see where we got. We rode around for a while--sitting in the front on the second level, best view ever--and ended up getting off at Oxford Circus and going shopping. I found the Layne Bryant/Torrid of London, so I had a blast trying on clothes that I didn't acutally buy. We just hung out going in whatever stores we saw, ate New Zealand Ice Cream (I had honeycomb/butterscotch flavor) YUM, and then we headed home. I love just being in the city, and seeing new places everyday.
Then Tonight was Michael Frayn's "Alphabetical Order." When we read it I wasn't sure I would like it. It was kinda crazy and full of British humor and I didn't really get it...but seeing it onstage was fantastic. We were in the third row of this cool little theatre, and the set was brilliant. It all takes place in a really messy office in the 1970's and the moment I walked in the theatre and looked on the stage, that's where I felt I was. The set was extremely realistic and very detailed. The play was hilarious. Each actor has the opportunity to create an extremely unique character in this piece and they all fulfilled that job briliantly. In the end of the play (as pictured above) there is a scene where the cast throws newspaper clippings from their office ALL OVER the stage. It was the most fun I've had in a long time watching them tear apart their office. I don't even know how to describe the cathartic experience it was. I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. It was ridiculous and beautiful at the same time.
I think, with the right students, this is a play I would love to do at my high school one day.
We then continued home--40 college students in a pack on the tube is pretty crazy--we had an aweosme European cake for a three of the girls birthdays.
It has been a wonderful day.
Tomorrow we have some group activites planned, so it should be lots of fun again.
We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the pictures and I so would have loved to have seen that play with you. Nice talking with you today. Enjoy your day tomorrow. Anxious to hear what the Banqueting House is??
    Love you, Grandma

    ReplyDelete