Friday, May 15, 2009

Bath & Stonehenge: Living History

Okay, so today was pretty much awesome.

Kristy, Cat, Sarah, Symantha, Paige, Allison, and I went on a day trip to Bath and Stonehenge.
We met the tour bus at 8:50 and we off on the 2 1/2 hour drive to Bath. It was beautiful. It was exciting to be out of the city and into the English countryside, it is absolutely beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen so much green. My favorite part was these huge patches of yellow flowers with the green hills. Ah. So gorgeous.
We arrived in Bath (which is an amazingly beautiful little town) and headed to the Roman Baths.

What are the Roman Baths you might be wondering? They are simply natural hot springs that were built around by the Romans to create public bathing places. It was so interesting to walk through and see the old architecture and to see how the hot springs are still there, still warm and steaming today.
Its thought that if you drink the water you will be cleansed...so of course, we had to try some.
Its totally disgusting, with an iron/sulfur taste.

We then proceeded to walk around Bath. I wish we would have had more time there because the city is just gorgeous.

**New favorite British thing***
You can walk into any little sandwich shop and get a "Jacket Potato" (baked potato) with Cheddar Cheese (which is not orange here, because they don't dye their cheese like we do) and it is delicious. Baked potatoes are pretty much my favorite food, so I'm loving this new found lunch option.

We were then back on the bus on the hour trip to Stonehenge.
Stonehenge, like Big Ben, is one of those places I've seen so many pictures of but never thought I'd actually see, and there I was walking towards it, taking it all in. It was surreal.

What is so interesting to me about Stonehenge is
1. How huge those rocks are all staked on top of each other
2. How they don't know how or why they are there or what they were used for
3. They are thousands of years old
4. How beautiful a bunch or random rocks can be
It was really just awesome, freezing cold and raining, but awesome.
It was truly a lovely day, with lovely people.
I'm so glad it got planned and we went.
Yay for historical adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, you had me captured, as if I were right there with you admiring all the sights, could almost taste the water with you. Thanks for sharing all your experiences with all of us. Wonder what tomorrow will have in store. Love you, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous that you got to see this! I have always wanted to. Like you said, it seems surreal. You look photoshoped into this picture! Which is soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete