Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Marie, the baguettes, hurry up!

So I'm in Paris right now.
It's pretty much ridiculous.
I can't believe it.
It's been a crazy, crazy, couple of days.
Yesterday consisted of:
-Class
-'Carousel' Matinee (which I won't go into...it was a horrible production that I didn't enjoy at all. The first show I haven't likes since I've been here. Sad times)
-Ran across the river for dinner and then the evening performance of "All's Well that Ends Well."
REALLY interesting concept. I really liked it.
-Paige and I bought matching National Theatre T-shirts. We were pretty happy.
-Next was home to pack for Paris...I got to sleep for about 1.5 hours (literally) and we were on the 'Night Bus' to King's Cross Station (my life was a little Harry Potter for a minute) to catch the EuroStar at 5:25 AM for Paris.
whew...LONG day.

Today in Paris has been wonderful, although I think I'm experiencing a little bit of culture shock which is resulting in a little bit of homesickness...but this city is absolutely stunning. It's just beautiful. The buildings, the roads, the river, the trees, the people. Oh my. I love Paris.

We arrived at about 9:00am, got a taxi to our hotel, put our stuff in the locker (because we couldn't check in until 2:00pm) and were off to find something to eat. We crossed the street and ended up in a very french little cafe. They didn't speak English, but luckily one of the girls with us knows a little bit of French, so we managed to get "Hot Chocolate" and "Ham & Cheese Sandwich" out of them so that's what we all got.

And let me tell you, it was delicious. Paris and baguettes go very well together.
Then we met up with Steve (my Grandma's friend's son who lives here) and we had a blast with him.

Without him we would have been totally lost. I'm so thankful he was here to help us get started in Paris. He helped us get our metro tickets and told us how to get everywhere we wanted and then took us on a wonderful walking tour. He knows EVERYTHING about Paris and it's history. It's so awesome. We walked around the islands and went in to Norte Dame, which is the most stunning building I've ever been in. It was just an awesome experience.

Going on about 3 hours of sleep, we headed back to our hotel to check in, shower, and nap.
Then we were off the the Musee du Louvre (Louvre Museum)
I'm not much of a museum person, but it was really neat to see a lot of the famous art I've always seen, in person. I've now seen the Mona Lisa in person. Craziness.
We walked and saw the tip of the Effiel Tower and ate at a little Cafe. I had a cheese crepe and it was fantastic.

We ran into a little market, and headed back home, because I am exhausted!
When I think about everyting I'm doing I honestly can't believe it. I feel like I'm in some sort of fairytale European world. I really never thought I would be doing these things and going to these places. I am so blessed.
SO blessed.
Europe is amazing.

3 comments:

  1. You make me cry with joy every time I read your writings, you make one feel like they are there with you. Proud of what you are doing running around in a foreign countries. I am so glad you were able to make this once in a lifetime trip and seeing so many beautiful things. Love you and miss you and so glad I am able to experience this trip through your beautiful words and pictures. Love you, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Heather. I'm so jealous. And I can't believe you're seriously in PARIS! OH MY GOSH! No way. No way. I'm... going to go to bed and wake up in Provo. Have fun in Paris. Wow... oh, and I'm kinda addicted to this blog. Just so you know. I read it all the time. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's it - I'm packing my bags right now. Should be there soon. hehehe

    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy - miss you.

    Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete